Thursday, January 28, 2010

It's Raining Turtles and Porcupines

As if death and tragedy isn't enough, and as if my class ending in 1 1/2 weeks isn't enough, C took a tumble this morning. Did you ever see the Sesame Street clip where the chef presents a large number of some pastry or dessert, and then tumbles and falls into a pile of sugary mess?

This morning as we were getting ready to head out the door, I was putting the sheets from the downstairs guest bedroom in the washer for my sister's visit. I could hear Kawi and C exchanging "Goodbye Buddy's," and suddenly there was a loud crash and a groan from C. I raced up to find C lying at the bottom of the first landing, with All Bran, milk, a plastic (thank goodness) bowl, and his lunch scattered across the landing. I asked if he was okay, which more than anything, I think he was shocked. I told him not to get up, considering his face looked a little guacamole-ish, and proceeded to clean up the mess.

He had a pretty good goose egg on the back of his head, and while I was very concerned about him, I must admit he was unusually, but pleasantly chatty today. I think he talked the entire way into work, AND the entire way back! We have to hit him in the head more often!

On the way home we stopped at Costco for a leg of lamb. Here is the trick, see: Church lasts three hours. I am teaching a lesson on Adam and Eve and the fall second hour, then we invited my mission president to teach during the third hour of church, after which we invited them over for dinner. President's favorite dish is leg of lamb. We invited them prior to my grandmother's death, and considering that they live some distance away, we didn't want to uninvite them to dinner. How do you make a perfect rare leg of lamb if you are in church for three hours, and eating immediately afterward?
{Sigh.} Well, I'll figure something out. After dinner we will depart for the town where the funeral will be held and spend the night in a hotel with my sis. The next morning we will attend the funeral and somewhere between now and then I will find the time to prepare the Eulogy (you know, the sum-up-a-life-in-ten-minutes talk. That's about one minute per decade she was alive!
A note on obituaries, they are EXPENSIVE! I somehow wound up writing an obituary and let me tell you: if you want a nice long epitaph, save your pennies now, because it was going to be $75/day just for the photograph! Eeek! That didn't include the set up fee, nor any of the text! I am going to take a nap now, and then I am ready to program like mad.
I hope your week is going well, but if not, don't forget your brass umbrellas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails