Monday, April 5, 2010

Bluebirds and Stereotypes

Today this bluebird kept hopping around outside of my office window. He jumped eagerly from branch to branch, from tree to tree, as if attempting to deliver some very important message. I would like to think that he was trying to tell me something really important. Don't bluebirds typically have something very important to say? Something happy to say?

We have been doing some remodeling at work, and as it turns out, they placed a glass panel next to the door which looks out into the lobby. I was working at my desk when I felt like someone was staring at me. I turned around, and sure enough, a man holding a portfolio was peeking in at me. He hesitated, then drew back behind the wall. I started to work again, but felt those eyes, and again, sure enough, he was peeking in at me. As soon as he saw me turn around, again, he withdrew behind the wall.

I wasn't sure what to think of this strange game he was playing, until I noticed our secretary, Megan, come out and invite him into one of the main office areas for an interview. I, being right off of the lobby, must have looked like the secretary, and he, waiting for the secretary, wanted to make sure I knew he was there, or so I assume. Are we not past that stereotypical, every woman you see in an office must be a secretary? I think we have moved past the fact that not every nurse is female, and that not every doctor is male... So it goes with stereotypes.

Well, as it turns out, that bluebird was really just admiring himself in the reflective glass on the window. He didn't really have anything exciting to say to me at all, but somehow I really hoped he did. After all, aren't all bluebirds messengers of happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails