Saturday, November 26, 2011

What I'll Miss About Being Pregnant

  1. Feeling two little babies move around inside of me.
  2. The progesterone-Valium effect. Very little ruffles my feathers these days. God gave us progesterone so we could have healthy babies and then the happy hormones go away leaving a basketcase/sleep deprived individual? I am still hoping to get through part II safely. Time will tell.
  3. Knowing my babies are safe and secure, and knowing right where they are every minute of every day.
  4. Auto-pilot feedings via this nifty placenta-umbilical contraption.
  5. Feeling completely productive doing nothing because gestation takes so much energy and effort!



What I Won't Miss About Being Pregnant
  1. Dysfunctional Extremities (numb, swollen hands, swollen feet, legs that move like I am 99 years old)
  2. The inability to care for my own physical needs with normal length arms. I'll just leave it at that.
  3. Blurry vision. Sure, I'd love to work until the day I deliver if I could read my computer screen.
  4. Limited physical movement and energy. I can't wait to be able to bend at the waist again!
  5. Constant congestion and the need to wear Breathe Right Strips at night (the cheap ones don't work, trust me on this).
  6. Limitations on serious snuggle time with my best guy.
  7. People constantly asking me how I am doing or just looking at me and saying, "I'm SO sorry!" It's been a good ride overall, and while I may look tired on the outside, I am very happy on the inside. I'm not sorry, or unhappy.

I am so incredibly grateful for it all because it means wee little ones, tiny fingers and footed pajamas that kick-kick-kick, and the rustle of a plastic diaper on a dimpled bum, and the need to change both of our clothes many times a day because we have spit-up or something worse on us. It means tired, long nights of tiny lungs trying to communicate that something isn't quite right, and knowing that those newborn cries won't last very long, and that someday I'll wish desperately that I could hear them again and again. It means fingernails and tiny toes that are so little and perfect that I can't stop looking at them, and pink padded lips dreaming of their next meal while perfect little eyelashes rest on chubby cheeks.


I guess what I am saying is that while I'll miss a few things about being pregnant, I can't wait for the next step, or rather leap into motherhood, all of it times two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails