Monday, January 31, 2011

I Can't Rock Climb...

I have discovered that rock climbing with one arm just isn't working out for me. It may have happened while I was trying to do some funky little move on my pull-up bar, one of those, elevate body, flip, twist, kick-sideways-like-you-are-in-a-Matrix-movie moves. I did something to my arm and it just isn't repairing itself. Ignore the pain until you are completely lame, I always say, but that isn't working out so well either. On a positive note, I AM getting pretty good at one-arm push-ups.

Last night C asked me to go to the church with him. He was doing something with the keys. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. He had handfuls of keys that we tried in every single lock in the building to help identify them. Organized, that's my man. C is not the sloppy slaggard husband by any means. 

We arrived home at 1 AM, and despite my exhaustion, I still liked hanging out with him. He also cleaned the house for me so I could go to the salon on Saturday. In exchange I made him a yummy lasagne, a big pot of steel cut oats for the week, and a batch of cookies. 

During church we had a meeting about preparedness. As you may know, "Mormons" or members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are asked to have a year's worth of needs on hand in case of financial demise, catastrophe, or medical emergencies that would isolate a family to their own home. 

Over the past five years we have accumulated a years-worth of long-term storage wheat, rice, legumes, oats, and other necessities. I always keep extra oils, canned goods, medicine, and other items on hand as well. I have both a mechanical grain grinder and a hand grinder. We have water stored, a kerosene heater, a kerosene lantern, and long-storing synthetic kerosene. Every family is asked to be prepared for emergencies specific to their area. 

They even have a website to help people be prepared for emergencies: http://www.providentliving.org/ 

In the preparedness meeting, C stood up to announce something and I just swooned at his gorgeous voice and batted my eyes at him until he started to turn red. When he sat down next to me (which rarely happens at church) I whispered sweet nothings in his ear and got a few back even! We whispered jokingly to each other over our need for more chocolate chips in our food storage... AND more water as an afterthought. I decided that I really like sitting next to him after all of these years of staring at him sitting with the bishopric.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, canned butter powder? Not so bad. I figure if I don't know how to use what I am storing, it is worthless to me, so I tossed it into some rice crispy treats. Not QUITE as crispy, but C ate them with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails