Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Goodbye, Reva

I know, I had this really great entry planned for today, but my grandma died today. I have never gotten so emotional at work that I have walked out of a meeting, but today I did. I took the stairwell up to the 9th floor and found a big, empty room. There I tried to collect myself in private. I am not a public crier. I spent the rest of the day just trying to hold back tears, and was pretty successful minus the meeting where my manager asked me what was wrong.

I got home and a friend stopped by to visit. I noticed my Dad trying to call. I immediately knew. Grandma was dead. I knew. I called my dad. "You know grandma is dead. I mean, you know, don't you?" He asked. I did. She died at almost the same moment I started crying at work. "I think I am going to go have a good cry now." He said. He was her baby boy.

The family asked me to give the Eulogy. I called my manager, who was very kind, and told me to take the time I needed. I called my brother. He will try to make it. I called my sister. She lives far away, but wants to come. She needs to come. I spoke with Grandma on Sunday. That day she told me to tell my sister and her family how much she loved them. I think she knew she wouldn't get a chance to say it in person, but wanted her to know.

My parents are divorced, and yet I know my mom will do everything she can to be there. She loved my grandma.

I wrote part of Grandma's history years ago, so tonight I opened the letters she wrote, and the details about her life, and breathed life back into her for a moment. Her spirit lives on, but for now, Goodbye Reva. Goodbye Grandma.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to say goodbye to those we love so much. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails