Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Few Words on Individuality

A friend recently asked her young daughter one thing she would change about the world for a school assignment. The daughter replied that she wished everyone was the same. I think at some point in our lives, many have felt that way. Fortunately, as we grow and mature emotionally, most of us come to value differences, even those we don't agree with.
Life is an adventure, and every story is different! Imagine the enormous library of lives that fill the bookshelves of history! And here we are, filling millions of new pages every day. Someday we may share our stories with others, so I guess that is what makes me want to live my life the best I possibly can, despite my less-than-lovable individual pieces.

We're all sons and daughters of God, even if we don't know it. If we ask, he'll guide us and help us know how to use our individual talents to help others and figure out his plan for our lives, even if it doesn't make sense at first. Still, he has to allow people to not follow his plan for their lives. He will never force us to do what he wants, but so far, I can't complain about my adventure, even the tough parts. So here's to individuality, and every beautiful and wonderful thing that those individuals choose to do with their lives. Here is to letting me learn from each person's individuality so that I can be a better person from knowing each of you!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you! I was just telling a friend the other day that diversity is great. She had been "scolded" by another friend for her political leanings, and we decided together that diversity in mindset really is what makes our nation great. Without the tension created by differences, we wouldn't be nearly as strong as we are. We all have individual presepctives, and this simple fact is what creates balance (in a big picture sense) not only in government but also in families, friendships, etc. Yay for individuality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad about your friend. I think sometimes it is easy to take a good-guy, bad-guy mentality when it comes to sports, politics, work, religion, etc.. I remember a woman who got off the phone with a man and announced to the office that he wasn't very intelligent. Curious, I asked how she knew that. "Well, you could tell his skin was dark." It took everything I had to not fire off a put-her-in-her-place remark, but instead I cooled off silently, and then spoke to her in private, telling her my feelings about what she said. She thanked me and told me that after she said it, she felt bad, and I was glad I didn't use a public arena to express my absolute disdain for racial prejudice. Anyway, your friend is lucky to have your support!

    ReplyDelete

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails