Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Sweetest Smile

A while back I purchased tickets to a guy event. I wanted to surprise C, but I had to see if he had anything going that day, so I told him I had a surprise for him, but didn't tell him what the event was.

Last night C came home from the gym and cautiously but quietly said, "I think I know what your surprise is."

"Oh yeah, what do you think it is?"

He hesitated, "Well, I don't know. Maybe not."

"No, what do you think it could be?"

"Well, maybe the motorcycle races?" He said, hoping, but not too hard.

"MAAAAYYBEEE..."

"Really? Did you? Did you really?" The biggest smile I have ever seen spread across his face. "I saw the ads for it at the gym and thought how great it would be to go, but, REALLY?"

"All right, I was going to keep it a surprise, but yes. And I got you reserved tickets. Good ones."

"Are you coming with me?"

"Of course! Unless you have someone else in mind..." And he didn't. Imagine that!

I don't think I have ever seen a bigger smile on that guy. C is not the type of man who places expectations on me. He doesn't expect me to clean or cook or do anything else, but he sure appreciates it when I do. I on the other hand, am pretty good - er, bad? at expectations - I expect him to call when he's going to be late for dinner, and I expect to get something for V-day.

I started thinking, wouldn't it be nice to do something that was JUST for him? Sure, we go see movies and do other things together, but that's for both of us. So we will go to the moto races, and he will LOVE it, and I will love it because he loves it, and that's what really matters anyway, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also want to read:

Related Posts with Thumbnails